Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Still not there

Tonight after I put the girls down the bed I began my usual "lets straighten this place up so I'm not set into a depression first thing in the morning". And of course, just as I was hitting a rhythm I hear "Mom!!" Once again, my children needed a drink at bedtime. I give in because, to be perfectly honest, I never think to give them one BEFORE bed. Instead of a quick drink I took the easy route and tossed them their sippy cups. They were only halfway full anyways. As soon as I head out of the room I hear Riley again "Mom!!". I go back in there and she says "There is juice in here". My initial reaction is annoyance. Wouldn't you think my child would be happy for her drink? The next thing she said hit me hard "I need water because you said we can't have juice in bed". I emptied the juice from her cup, put fresh water in there, gave it back, and thanked her for telling me she needed water instead. I then proceeded to the living room to cry. I hate that my first reaction to my child wasn't one with an open and loving heart. 4 years, 2 kids, and I still have so much to learn. Thank you Lord for my children, who often show me in the most humbling ways what I need to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment