Friday, October 29, 2010

Walmart Super Center

I had every intention of going to the new Pullman Walmart Super center yesterday, but it was just a bad day. My kids are still sick, and are only capable of one outing a day before completely falling apart, and getting my Mother in law a birthday present was our trip yesterday.

I finally made it out to Walmart today. I am so glad we went. It's been tough these past few weeks with the former Moscow Walmart not re-stocking their shelves. I pretty much refuse to buy Ziploc bags, foil, plastic wrap, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, and any personal or medical items anywhere else but Walmart. It costs SO much more everywhere else. It was a sad day when I had to buy Walgreen brand shaving foam. That's right, foam! I haven't bought foam in YEARS!! I'm a strict gel kinda gal. Anyways, back to the new Walmart.

It's big, it's beautiful. The bathroom in the front of the store has a nice short sink and soap dispenser for small children (YES!!!), plus a family bathroom in the back (we didn't make it back there to that one) It also has the wonderful 2 seat carts with a full size basket. It's well organized (not once did I feel like "oh crap!"), and the employees were smiling and greeting throughout the entire store. Yes, I know it's only the second day, but I recognized quite a few employees from the Moscow Walmart, and they were always friendly anyways.

I have been a loyal Winco customer for the past 5 years. I've always loved their low prices, and the fact that they show the price per ounce. It may appear cheaper, but in reality...you're paying  more. Walmart is doing that. Some of my favorite finds I've been getting for months, and even years. The Great Value 64oz 94oz No sugar added Apple Juice is only $1.98, and they've had select Malt O Meal 44oz packages of cereal for $2.50 for a while now (that's about 5.7 cents an ounce. Far cheaper than anything at Winco, even the bulk stuff!) I even noticed today that the Great Value cereals are right about the same price as the Winco bulk ones. You may not get the same choices, but that's fine by me! Plus, their 27% ground beef was only $1.98!!!!  Pretty much everything I saw was either the same price, or LESS than Winco. And with No grocery tax in Washington, I'll be doing most of my grocery shopping there. There are a few things I may get just at Winco, but over all I was very very pleased with the Walmart prices.

I love the idea of getting everything done at once. I've always hated getting house and personal supplies at Walmart, then having to make a second trip to Winco. Since Tim and I are sharing a car, it's not like I can up and go whenever I please. There are a few days a week where I just don't have transportation, and that's fine. Those are great laundry and cleaning days! But the few days I have the car, I'd like to be able to use at least one of them to take the girls to do something fun. Because errands, and fun trips just don't happen in the same day. We get way too tired (ok, I get too tired).

Moscow, you really lost out by not allowing a Super Walmart here. Otto's has already closed, Walmart had nothing to do with that. As a mother of 2 small kidlets, one shopping trip makes much more sense than two.

3 comments:

  1. yeah, we had super walmarts in maryland. They are handy. I usually prefer to shop small, privately owned stores and pay a bit extra (I was raised in a small business family), but sometimes I don't have the option financially, so you'll be finding me there a lot, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, during the "$50-$60 for a weeks worth of food" stage in our lives...I'm gonna use what is cheapest :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat, I so appreciated this post. I've been an avid Walmart lover for years - after Deacon challenged me to look at the facts of what this amazing company has done for our economy and how well they actually do take care of their employees. It was so refreshing to finally hear praise to the company from a friend :)
    I'm so happy you got a super walmart!

    ReplyDelete