Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Comfort Clothes

When I was 12, my parents moved out into the middle of nowhere. It took us 30 minutes to get to "town", and about 10 to get to the closest gas station (which happened to be our Saturday treat). Not long after we moved though, my Grandma built a house right next door to ours. I LOVED having Grandma next door. She dedicated the upstairs of her house to us kids. It had a TV and the nintendo system. A bunch of games, toys, a small air hockey table, and the COOLEST outfits from the 70's.


One of my favorite things though, was Grandmas closet. That's where she kept her jewelry boxes (she had a nice walk in closet), and I could sit there for hours just staring at her stuff. She had rings, earrings, necklaces, pins...they were all so pretty.

One day, when I was looking through her stuff Grandma was cleaning out her chest of drawers in her bedroom. She asked me to come in, she had something she wanted to show me. It was a purple, cable knit sweater that belonged to my Great Grandmother. Great Grandma passed away when I was 8, on Christmas day. I loved her so much, and the rest of my life has been spent loving anything that was connected to her. Grandma gave me that sweater, probably 11 years ago, and I pulled it out for the first time this year today.

 I've noticed over the years that this purple sweater has been a huge comfort item for me, and it gives a warm fuzzy feeling inside and out whenever I wear it. It reminds me of my Great Grandmother, and Grandmother who have been through so much and never lost their faith in Christ. As a young child it never occurred to me that my Great Grandmother was so ill, she still had a smile on her face and time to play Go-Fish with me.

There is a lot going on right now, and it's good for me to have this reminder. I'm not sure how old this sweater is, I can tell that it's thinned out a bit the past
 11 years, it's still thick enough that you can't see through it though. How many New sweaters can have that said about them? :)

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading that, Kat! That is so neat that you were able to be close to both your grandma AND great-grandma! And what a blessing that they were both Christians!
    Hugs!
    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete